Safety Reminders for Winter Weather
Winter is just around the corner and with it comes snow, ice and rain that can make day-to-day duties even more dangerous for workers. To protect your employees, follow these tips:
- Keep walkways clear from ice and snow, and provide entry mats to avoid indoor slips and falls.
- Review bad-weather procedures and discuss specific job hazards employees may face.
- Prepare a roadside emergency kit for company vehicles that includes such items as water, food, flares, a blanket and a window scraper.
Whether or not your company employs drivers, all workers should know how to handle winter driving. The following pointers can help:
- Practice driving when it is still light outside to gauge how your vehicle reacts.
- Remember to always steer into a skid.
- Keep in mind that stopping distances are longer when a surface is icy.
- Avoid carbon monoxide exposure — don’t idle a vehicle for too long with the windows up or in an enclosed space, such as a garage.
- Always plan your route ahead of time.